Southwestern Indiana's Catholic Community Newspaper

Around The Diocese For March 17, 2017


Happy birthday!

Father John Brosmer, pastor of St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Dale, celebrates his birthday on March 23.

Father John Breidenbach, priest in the diocese of Evansville, celebrates his birthday on March 25.

Glenda Reckelhoff, parish catechetical leader at St. Isidore the Farmer Parish in Celestine, celebrates her birthday on March 28.


Happy anniversary!

Father Joseph Erbacher, pastor of Holy Name Parish in Bloomfield and St. Peter Parish in Linton, was ordained to the priesthood March 25, 1972.

Father James Sauer, administrator at St. Matthew Parish in Mount Vernon and The Message columnist, was ordained to the priesthood March 25, 1977.


Healthy Communities Partnership to Kickoff Healthy Action Teams


The Healthy Communities Partnership is a coalition of over 20 organizations in Evansville that value the health of the residents.  Over the past year, leaders from each organization met to develop a shared goal and strategies to reach it.  The current goal: to decrease the number of children in Vanderburgh County that are considered overweight or obese by 20% by 2020.


Strategies to develop and promote the implementations of policies that increase education and implementation of policies have been set by the coalition. The first meeting to create the action teams and start the work of each strategy is at 8 a.m. on March 13at the Southern Indiana Career and Technical Center.


“Currently 21 percent of children are overweight in Vanderburgh County and 18 percent are obese. That totals 39 percent of children that we would like to move to 20 percent in three years,” said Lacy Wilson, Purdue Extension’s Community Wellness Coordinator.  “Each strategy action team will be very important in achieving our goal.”  


Attending the meeting will be Wisconsin’s HealthTide Director, Amy Korth, MS, RD to share their work to all strategy workgroups.


For more information on the Healthy Communities Partnership Kickoff meeting, contact Lacy Wilson, Community Wellness Coordinator, at 618-926-3576.


St. John the Baptist holds Science Fair


St. John the Baptist School in Newburgh held a “Science learning Fair” for seventh- and eighth-graders.  Students researched topics in Earth, Life or Physical Science and presented their projects to the class.  Parents were invited to attend. Sixty-three presentations were given in all.  Awards were given in each class for best presentation and most creative. In the eighth grade, best presentation went to Walker Selby for his work on “Tick-Born Diseases” and Maren Logan for her work on “Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.” Most creative went to Evelyn O’Daniel for her work on “The Parts of the Brain” and to Savannah Folz for her work on “The Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar.” In the seventh grade, best presentation went to Jentry Gottfried for her work on “The Effects of Food Dyes” and to Bridget Janney for her work on “The Effects of Caffeine.” Most creative went to Fiona DeLamar for her work on “The Benefits of Water” and to Emily Roe for her work on “Chemical Reactions in Baking.



St. Mary’s hosting scrapbooking event to benefit autism services


St. Mary’s Center for Children will host the 10th annual “Crop-Paper-Scissors” scrapbooking and craft event from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Apr. 15 in Saint Mary’s Manor Auditorium.  Early registration is $35 and ends April 1. After that, the fee is $40. Proceeds help fund autism services for children in the community.


The event includes a variety of craft activities, including scrapbooking, make and takes, stamping cards and gift ideas.  Attendees are encouraged to bring their current projects. There will also be door prizes, a silent auction and items for sale from vendors Doodlebug and Mary’s Scrapden.  Lunch will be provided.


April is Autism Awareness Month.  Autism is the fastest growing serious developmental disability in the United States, affecting 1 in 68 children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  Autism Spectrum Disorder occurs in all racial, ethnic and socioeconomic groups, but is about 4.5 times more common among boys than girls.


To reserve your spot at Crop-Paper-Scissors or to make a donation, contact Kelly Shaw at 812-485-4419 or