New School Year Brings Emphasis On Being 'Called To Serve'
August is an exciting time for families, especially those who have children enrolled in pre-school and kindergarten. For many of these students, this will be their first time in Catholic schools – Welcome! For our seniors, the Class of 2018, this will be your final year in high school, and I am confident that you will step up and lead your schools in faith as shining examples of Christian life.
Archbishop Charles Thompson, in an address to high school graduates, exclaimed, “Catholic schools – if they are to be credible, authentic and effective – must necessarily be grounded in the proclamation of the gospel, namely, the Good News of Jesus Christ. So grounded, the call to evangelization must permeate every aspect of life for school administrators, faculty, staff, volunteers, students and families.” This call is a challenge that we, as Catholic educators, are ready to take with our families as the school year begins.
The diocesan school theme for the 2017-2018 school year is Catholic Schools: Called to Serve.
To ensure a successful school year for all students and families, I ask all parents/guardians to agree to the following:
- Assist in the spiritual development of your child by attending Mass every weekend and discussing what your child is learning in religion class.
- Send your child to school on time each day with a positive attitude about school.
- Communicate with teachers about any concerns and/or questions.
- Attend meetings and socials at school to be an active member of the community.
- Check to see that all homework is completed and set high academic standards.
- Bookmark your child’s school website and follow your school on social media to keep informed.
- Finally, realize that this is a partnership in educating your child and that you will volunteer your time and talent at school and in your parish.
Please know that Mrs. Priar, Mrs. Sternberg and I look forward to this new school year. We ask you to join us in daily prayer for our priests, deacons, religious, presidents, principals, teachers, support staff, students, families and parishioners as we begin this new year with a faith-filled spirit and a call to serve others.